Nicoleabouttown

Nicoleabouttown

Bittersweet - Sarah Ockler Originally published over at All I Ever Read

First, I have to say kudos to the publisher’s for changing the name and cover from the original ARC version. That was a stroke of marketing genius and whoever came up with the idea deserves a raise. The cover is blue (my favourite), textured (bonus) and sparkly. All three things were guaranteed to catch my eye and make me give this book more than just a passing glance. Well now that the publishing marketing team has drawn me in, what happens now? Well Sarah Ockler goes and creates a story that I just couldn’t put down.

The main character, Hudson Avery, is someone I think everyone can relate to. She’s friendly, down to earth, loyal and loves her family. Three years ago, Hudson was just a girl living in a small town with her family and chasing her dream of becoming a professional figure skater. Fast forward three years and Hudson’s father has deserted his family to be with random women and she is left in that same small town working with her mother at their family diner. Enter the Cupcake Queen of Watonka. While it’s not the medal or title she ever set out to win, Hudson nonetheless earns it for the amazing cupcakes she creates and sells at the diner.

Eventhough Hudson is no longer chasing her figure skating dream, she gets the opportunity to try again. It’s at this point that we meet Josh who is just such a loveable character. Josh wasn’t perfect, but there was a definate likeable quality to him that definately made him worth his leading man status. I loved that while there was an attraction between Hudson and Josh, it wasn’t the instant teenage love we keep seeing over and over in YA novels. There was a buildup in their story and watching them get together was watching them build a foundation for a solid relationship.

Despite the fact that reading this book and hearing about all the delicious cupcakes made me hungry, I enjoyed Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler immensely. *Note* You might not want to read this on the subway. Every chapter begins with a delicious cupcake recipe and you will find yourself frequently having to check and make sure that you aren’t drooling.