Nicoleabouttown

Nicoleabouttown

The Demon Lover - Juliet Dark, Carol Goodman For some very, very strange reason, The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark was incorrectly listed in the Young Adult category. I can tell you without a doubt that this book is not YA, not by a long shot. Did this take away from the book? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I can’t imagine The Demon Lover being done as YA and still being as good as it is.

When we first meet our main character, Callie McFay, she’s going through a bit of a transitional period in her life. Having just finished both her PhD and a book based on her adaptation of her thesis, Callie is mulling over various job offers. She ends up turning down more prestigious job offers; accepting a job at Fairwick College where she begins teaching in her field of expertise; folklore. Callie soon finds herself more a part of the College and the town of Fairwick than she ever thought possible with a new house, new friends and a new lover. It’s there in the town of Fairwick that Callie begins to learn things about herself and her family that she never knew.

The Demon Lover is hot. Hot without being smutty. It’s interesting and informative and introduces a paranormal world that is actually quite believable. The characters are well written and the interaction between them moves the story along at a reasonable pace. Quite honestly, The Demon Lover is the perfect beginning to a series. It sets up the back story really well and at the same time it manages to leave you ready to read the next installment.