Nicoleabouttown

Nicoleabouttown

Spellbound - Cara Lynn Shultz So when I really started to get into book blogging and reviewing, this was one of the books that I really, really wanted to read. I was originally drawn to the cover of the book and that is what originally prompted me to choose to read a synopsis of the book when I was browsing on the GoodReads website. (I confess, the cover is usually what draws me into any kind of book). In my experience with YA books, they can be very hit or miss. There is usually no happy medium with them and in my opinion fall into either the good or the bad categories.

Well, let me just start off by saying that Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz is a hit and can definitely be placed in the good pile.

What I really love about this book is that even though it falls into the paranormal YA pile, it is not super unrealistic and overly melodramatic. There is a steady build up in the story and you never feel like you are either being overwhelmed with information or not receiving enough at any given time.

I love that the main character Emma has faced adversity and heartbreak. What I love even more is that she hasn't let that same adversity and heartbreak break her or crush her spirit. She continues to soldier on rather than giving up and going all woe is me, she makes the best of the life that she has now found herself in through no fault of her own. Does it mean that she doesn't experience sadness or upset due to her situation? No, it doesn't. Rather she finds constructive ways to deal with her life and what is going on around her.

Cara Lynn Shultz does sarcasm and self-deprecating humor right. It's not forced, it's not contrived, and it comes across as genuine and a part of the character's personality. It's used correctly as a tool to illustrate the depth and versatility of the character rather than for comedic effect. Although, I did find the description of one character's tan absolutely hysterical. I mean, what is it with this whole tan/fake tan thing? I mean when did it become acceptable to turn your skin into something resembling cured leather?

The book was an easy read and the characters were likeable, some more than others. I honestly think that the story works fairly well due to it not being too outrageous. I mean who hasn't experienced a feeling of deja vu before? Who hasn't experienced moments of premonition or insight of some sort? Who hasn't met someone and felt an instant connection to them that they just couldn't explain?

All in all, this was a good book and it was worth the read.