Nicoleabouttown

Nicoleabouttown

Lie - Caroline Bock I had been waiting to read this book for some time. In fact, I think this book was one of my Waiting on Wednesday picks sometime back in May or June. Every time I went to the bookstore in hopes of acquiring this book, it never quite worked out and I finally just ordered it online sometime back in October. Of course as soon as I got it, I began reading it. Sad to say, I was disappointed. I was so disappointed in fact, that this book was originally classified as DNF on my shelf and after about 50 pages in, I put it down. Usually, when I classify a book as DNF, I don’t pick it up again. But for some reason, I decided to give this one a second chance. I can honestly say that I am glad that I did.

Lie is told from multiple POVs and as such you really get to hear the viewpoints of everyone in this particular community. The sad part is that all those POV’s really do mirror each other and still adhere to the line ‘everybody knows, but no one’s talking’. It’s really disturbing to see just how everyone lets the fact that the victims were Mexican and the perpetrators were white cloud their minds to the fact that a crime was committed, and that lives were put in danger. The really sad part is that Lie, even though fiction, mirrors events that have happened in real life.

I have never been more disgusted with a character than I was with Skylar. She uses her loss as a way to make her apathetic to the suffering of anyone else. The fact that she has gone through a loss should have made her appreciate life so much more. Instead she has this pity me, poor me attitude that leads her to rely on the very racist Jimmy for absolutely everything. For Skylar, I really didn’t see the struggle between right and wrong. She clearly couldn’t tell the difference if it slapped her upside the head. The sad thing is that she was not alone in that viewpoint.

Don’t get me wrong, I knew that Lie wasn’t going to be a book about fluffy bunnies and as such was likely going to provoke some intense reactions. I was expecting outrage, frustration and maybe even a little sadness and anger. What I was not prepared for was the absolute rage and disgust I felt while reading this book. The tag line of Lie is ‘everybody knows, nobody’s talking’ and that one line should be enough to set anyone’s teeth on edge. The fact that Lie is a book based around a hate crime, ‘everybody knows, nobody’s talking’ should outrage and disgust you.