Nicoleabouttown

Nicoleabouttown

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern Originally Published at All I Ever Read...

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is absolutely masterful and after having read it, I can say that it has been without a doubt my favourite book of 2011. The Night Circus is one of those books that you come across very seldom and it's one of those books that leaves a lasting impression on the reader. The kind that you find yourself picking up and reading more than once, and every time you do read it again, another facet of it's brilliance is revealed.

The prose is lyrical and almost poetic and with that same sense of fluidity Erin Morgenstern has created a world that leaves the reader with a longing to experience it for themselves. The book is a feast for the senses. As you are reading you feel the silk of a dress worn by one of the performers, taste the food at one of the midnight dinners, or smell the caramel in the air as you walk from tent to tent exploring all of the delights that the circus has to offer.

I personally don't understand the comparison to the Harry Potter series. To me, the only thing that they share in common is that they are both written by extremely talented women, on paper, and they both deal with magic! That's it. To say that The Night Circus is the second coming of Harry Potter does a great disservice to both stories. The Night Circus is not a series, but rather one stand alone book. It is a richly written tale that uses the circus itself as a backdrop. It is not a book about magic. It is not a book about vanquishing the most evil wizard of all time. The Night Circus, at the end of the day, is a love story.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is to me, much more than a book. It is an experience to be savoured and treasured by all of those who read it.